How To Dab Cannabis Concentrates
Are you a cannabis consumer looking to take your weed experience to new heights?
Cannabis concentrates are the way to do it. And dabs are one of the most popular ways to get high.
How exactly is a perfect dab smoked?
All it takes is cannabis extract, a dag rig or
If you’re looking to get super high in a short amount of time this resource is meant for you. Read on to find out how to dab correctly with our helpful guide. Trust us, it’s easy!
Key Takeaways: Smoking Dabs
- Enjoying dabs requires a few essential items, including a high quality cannabis extract, a dabbing device, dab nail and torch.
- There are few different ways to dab concentrates: with a traditional dab rig, an electric dab rig and a
- Taking dabs is really easy once you learn how to do it.
- Keeping your dab equipment clean is essential to having a quality experience.
What Tools Do You Need To Dab Marijuana?
In all, dabbing is pretty simple. First and foremost you will need some high quality concentrate, a device designed for dabbing (either a dab rig or a
Here’s what you’ll need to dab concentrate:
Extract is just another word for cannabis concentrate or
Take note. The higher the quality the extract, the smoother the dab experience will be.
Dab Rig or
A dab rig is a handheld device that looks like a bong. Instead of a bowl piece, however, a dab rig has a nail that concentrates are placed on.
Concentrates are super sticky so you cannot touch extracts by hand. So you’ll need a dab tool to scoop extract out of the container.
Dab tools come in many shapes and sizes such as a stick, spoon, blade, scoop or paddle. They’re made from a variety of materials like ceramic, metal or glass.
Nails are used with dab rigs. If we’re comparing dab rigs to bongs, the banger nail would be considered the bowl piece.
Nails are usually made of quartz but are sometimes made from metal. We recommend quartz for superior flavor and optimal smoothness.
When you’re using a dab rig, you need a butane torch lighter to heat up your extract.
Torches emit an extremely hot flame that heats up the nail to the desired temperature.
A carb cap is basically just a lid for the banger nail.
When taking a dab, you’ll set the carb cap over the nail, which creates better airflow and a silky smooth hit.
A carb cap is an optional accessory for taking dabs, but it will offer a more enjoyable experience.
Ways To Dab Cannabis
Also known as an oil rig or water pipe, a dab rig is simply a glass bong with a banger (a dab nail).
- Bigger hits
- Excellent flavor
- Long-lasting (rigs can be used for years)
- Achieving the right temp can be tricky
- Requires more equipment
- Fragile (most rigs are made of glass)
Bangers can be made of quartz, titanium and ceramic. Dab nails come in multiple sizes and in female or male joints. If you have a rig with a male joint you’ll need a banger with a female joint and vice versa.
A dab rig also features a water chamber through which vapor gets filtered before it reaches the mouth piece and enters our lungs.
In order to take a dab, the banger must be heated with a blowtorch.
Dabs are typically heated to 400-600 degrees Fahrenheit depending upon the type of concentrate. Standard temperature range for dabbing, however, is around 540-570 degrees Fahrenheit.
Electronic Dabbing Rig
Often called an E-Rig, an electronic dab rig is a vaporizer device used to consume concentrates.
- 25 heat temps
- Rapid heat up
- Large battery
- Easy to maintain the optimal temperature
- No need to reheat nail in between dabs
- Tasty hits (terps are maintained due to maintaining precise temp)
- Needs to be recharged or plugged in
Electronic dab rigs require a battery-power or electric heat source. They’re basically the electronic version of a regular dab rig with a few minor differences.
An e-Rig has a nail that is heated with a battery instead of a torch. The user can set the e-Rig to an exact temperature, usually between 300 and 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Electronic dab rigs offer the most flavorful dabbing experience because the temperature range is low. When taking low-temp dabs, each dab features the full terpene profile since the low heat prevents evaporation.
An electronic dab rig is convenient since no torch is needed. Plus they’re often portable. However, the device has its drawbacks with the constant need of a power source or a recharge.
- Heavy-duty design
- Ceramic and quartz heating elements included
- Premium stainless steel build
- Easy way to dab
- Portable (you can effortlessly dab on-the-go)
- Dab pens can clog easily
- The coil chamber is hard to keep clean
- Battery needs to be recharged
The battery warms the heating chamber in order to vape concentrates placed inside of it.
They’re usually button operated, and once you press the button, the
Dab pens have many perks. From their discrete size and appearance to the easy of use, dabbers delight in these pocket-sized devices.
How To Smoke Dabs
Smoking Dabs In A Rig
Here’s an easy step-by-step guide on how to use a dab rig.
- Using a dab wand, scoop up a small amount of concentrate (about the size of a grain or two of rice). Set the loaded dab aside.
- Heat the banger to your desired temperature or set the E-Rig to the desired temperature.
- Apply the loaded dab wand directly onto the banger or E-Nail. Slowly inhale the vapor.
- After the initial inhale, place the carb cap on the nail. Inhale slowly to fully vaporize the dab.
- Promptly and steadily exhale the dab.
- Clean the nail as described in the “cleaning your equipment” section below.
- Repeat steps 1-6 for each dab.
All you need is your assembled
Before you begin, make sure your
- Grab your assembled
dab penand unscrew the pen cap and remove the atomizer.
- Load your
waxinto the atomizer until the concentrate reaches the coil.
- Screw on the atomizer and reattach the pen cap.
- Activate your vape pen by pressing the power button once or multiple times until the power light blinks on.
- Bring the mouthpiece to your lips and hold down the power button. Inhale slowly. Let go of the power button when you’ve taken your desired hit.
- Press the button several times to shut the pen off when you’re done dabbing. This is important because if you set the pen in your pocket or your bag, the button can be pressed and you’ll accidentally burn the coil chamber.
Cleaning Your Equipment
Keeping your dabbing essentials clean seems like a nuisance. But we hate to break it to you, it’s a must. Cleaning your dab equipment should be uncompromised.
The easiest way to maintain your equipment is to clean your banger nail following each use. The dab wand should also be cleaned after each dab sesh.
You’ll also want to fully clean your dab rig at least once a month.
Below, we explain how to clean each dab tool in detail.
After each dab, lightly wet one end of a q-tip with alcohol.
Use the wet end to rub the nail clean until you don’t see any resin or reclaim.
Use the other end of the q-tip to dry out the nail.
And that’s it! Your nail is prepped for the next hit.
- Gather the Provisions
You’ll need rubbing alcohol, a container or plastic baggie, cotton balls or q-tips, a paper towel, a wire brush and a microfiber cloth.
- Make the Cleaning Solution
Create a mixture with 60% alcohol and 40% warm water. For example, combine 10 ounces of rubbing alcohol and 4 ounces of water.
- Dissemble and Submerge Unit in the Cleaning Solution
Remove the bubbler and atomizer from the base. Fill up a baggie or container with the cleaning solution and submerge the bubbler into the liquid. Let the bubbler sit in the solution for 10 minutes to 1 hour. The dirtier the rig, the longer it will need to be soaked.
- Soak a Cotton Ball or Q-Tip in the Solution
Use this to wipe away any resin from the atomizer. Grab a paper towel to dry thoroughly dry the element.
- Rinse and Dry Equipment
Rinse the bubbler with lukewarm water. Place it upside down on a dry towel.
Lightly wet a paper towel with warm water. Wipe the atomizer with the damp paper towel. Set it on the clean towel to dry.
- Gather the Supplies
You’ll need isopropyl alcohol (i.e. rubbing alcohol), q-tips, hot water, a dab tool, a container and paper towels.
- Dissemble the
Take apart the device. Separate each section/piece.
- Scrape Off Excess Resin
Using a dab tool, remove any leftover resin or material from the coil piece.
- Wipe All Pieces With an Alcohol Soaked Q-Tip
Dip a Q-tip in alcohol and wipe down the alcohol-safe sections of the
- Fill a Container with Rubbing Alcohol and Submerge Alcohol-Safe Pieces
Grab a plastic container and fill it with rubbing alcohol. Place the alcohol-safe pieces into the container. Do not put any electrical components into the alcohol filled container.
- Rinse the Equipment and Let Dry
Wash off all the pieces you soaked in alcohol with lukewarm water. Place the